- Benefits to Health Departments and Public Health
- How to Support the CAIR2 Transition
- Elevator Speeches for Providers and Schools
Benefits of CAIR2 to Health Departments and Public Health
- One software and database to maintain.
- One login to search for patient records statewide by Fall 2017.
- Local Health Departments can run reports on doses administered within their jurisdictions. Note: CAIR2 will no longer produce custom exports for counties.
- Better software functionality and performance means greater value to users, helping recruitment and retention of providers.
- A statewide registry means better data completeness as disparate immunization records become consolidated into a single patient record.
- Having a statewide registry is a proven strategy for improving immunization coverage – the ability to identify gaps in coverage can lead to targeted interventions.
- In addition to supporting patient vaccination activities, immunization registries like CAIR2 also assist with other tasks such as identifying children at risk during school disease outbreaks as well as monitoring the impact of vaccine shortages or identifying patients vaccinated with improperly stored or recalled vaccine.
- Helps ensure that providers have access to clinical decision support functionality consistent with current ACIP recommendations.
What Health Departments Can Do to Support the CAIR2 Transition
- Get the word out about CAIR2 to current CAIR users and data-exchange sites before your region’s transition. This includes clinics in your local health department.
- Refer providers to the CAIR Help Desk or Local CAIR Representatives (LCR) for any technical questions.
- Follow up with high-priority active CAIR1 sites who haven’t signed up for CAIR2 training. Send an email to IZBranch@cdph.ca.gov if you would like to receive a list of provider sites in your jurisdiction with no users registered for CAIR2 training on September 1st for phase 1 sites, November 1st for phase 2 sites, and Februrary 1 for phase 3 sites.
- Promote CAIR2 to potential new users after your region transitions. (CAIR2 training prior to your region’s transition will be limited to active users.)
Elevator Speech for Providers
- CAIR is moving to CAIR2 (mention date for specific region).
- The current version of CAIR will shut down on the same day that CAIR2 launches in your region.
Don’t get left behind!
- Supervisors should make sure CAIR account contact information is up to date for all users. Important notices, including access information, will be sent by email.
- Regular and Power Users are required to take training before being given access to CAIR2. Don’t forget to register.
- Read-only users will have access to training videos and user guides but will not need to attend formal training. Passwords will be emailed to Read-only users shortly before the CAIR2 launch.
- Data Exchange sites will need to update their data submission process beginning October 3, 2016. See the CAIR2 HL7 2.5.1 Data Exchange Specifications document for details on the requried changes for CAIR2 data submission.
- Visit CAIRweb.org for dates and details.
Elevator Speech for Schools
- CAIR2 is a free, comprehensive, secure system that will help you manage student immunizations using any device! It will make school reporting a breeze and generate an automatic summary report, listing students that need follow-up. For more information, go to CAIRweb.org.